Tuesday, November 2, 2010

Made in Melbourne

Being in the fashion industry means I get the chance to work with a lot of amazingly talented people and be involved in some pretty awesome events. One that I have been lucky enough to be a part of is the Made in Melbourne event. This annual fashion event promotes and supports local designers who create and manufacture their collections in Melbourne. The event was created by Melbourne designer Katya Baxter, who also created the label Mina & Katusha in collaboration with Sarina Zammit. It is presented by LiPrice and has this year been held at The Trust in Melbourne's CBD. The venue has been transformed with fake grass, fountains and roses climbing up newly latticed walls. Their first show this year presented pieces from Mina & Katusha, Caro, Lisa Taranto, Marion Liese, Borsha, Silk & Ink and Neo Dia. They are definitely brands to watch out for in the coming seasons. In Made in Melbourne's latest show, the theme was Spring Racing, with the addition of beautiful head pieces by Melbourne milliners.
The show opened with designs from Mina & Katusha with head pieces by Gregoria millinery. Their third collection entitled ‘Amour’ is set for Summer with bright colours in beautiful feminin frills and flattering lines.

The second designer to show case their collection was Lady Petrova with Hopelessly Devoted millinery. Petrova Hammond is the brains behind the operation and is the cutest person I have ever met. She is a petit redhead oozing with this adorable, lovable character. I just wanted to hug her! Her collection was without a doubt her personality in the form of clothes- sweet, pretty and quirky. I had a little fashion dilemma backstage when the dress I was meant to wear (which was a stunning yellow and pink flowing dress) got completely tangled as four people tried to help me into it so I ended up wearing this adorable little number.
 
The third designer was Violet & I with Bianca Linklater millinery. Her designs were pretty, feminin and a bit sexy! I didn't model these myself but my beautiful friend Jessica Rose did a fabulous job. Their website has the most beautiful pictures as well.
 I was most impressed with the final designer Pamela Usanto who used JloveS millinery. I had never met her before but had seen her beautiful collection modelled by my friend Kaitlyn Ridge. Pamela is such a happy and lovely person and her designs were classy and simply stunning. I was lucky enough to wear her show stopping piece as well as to recieve one of her skirts as a gift, which I ended up wearing to the races. To get her amazing dress on was quite the struggle. I was convinced it was too small when the zip-less bodice wouldn't go past my thighs. With the help of three others and some squeezing, we finally got it on as well as the jaw dropping dress.
A runway show wouldn't be the same for me without wardrobe disasters and injuries so in true Emily form, I managed to have my already ugly feet covered in blisters from four hours of promo work for Tom Waterhouse that morning. Just keeping things classy!

No comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

My photo
I'm a 20 year old performing arts student who likes her tims tams with milk and gets head aches when drinking water with a mint in her mouth